Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Uncle Henry's

When I am at the corner store near my camp on Little Sebago Lake in Maine, I often purchase a copy of Uncle Henry’s Weekly Swap it or Sell it Guide. It’s digest sized and costs two bucks. When I get back to my deck, I read it as I would a magazine. Uncle Henry’s lists 30-word private party ads at no cost from folks in my area who want to sell or buy stuff, or in some cases, give stuff away. The digests lists everything from appliances to yard sales. I
I’ve seen listings for everything and anything you’d want to buy or sell, including the kitchen sink (pg 45: “Kitchen sink. Dbl bowl American Standard white, Mohen telescope faucet, exc. Cond. $100”). Now why would anyone want to sell her kitchen sink?

I peruse “Uncle Henry’s” for the unusual. I guess I have too much time on my hands when I am at camp. This week’s oddity I found under Firearms, p. 159: “Moose hunt swap zones. Looking to swap my Zone 23 either bull or cow for the whole mo. of Nov. for your Zone 4. Week of Sept. 26. Let’s talk.” A phone number follows this. In Maine, there is a moose hunt lottery every year, so this listing makes some sense. Unless you’re a moose in Zone 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment